Krapfen is a deep fried German doughnut with a marmalade or jam filling and usually icing, powdered sugar or conventional sugar on top. This recipe uses cinnamon and sugar as a coating.
- 2 eggs
- 90ml beer
- 100g plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- 675g dessert apples
- oil for deep frying
- castor sugar
- ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oil for deep frying to 180C.
- Separate the eggs.
- Put the yolks, beer, flour and salt into a bowl and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff then fold into the batter.
- Peel and grate the apples then stir them into the batter.
- Carefully slide spoonfuls of the apple batter into the hot oil and cook for about 5 minutes turning once. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Mix the cinnamon with the sugar and roll the cooked Krapfen in the sugar mix and serve immediately. ( serves 4 )