Chakalaka is very “South African”. Chakalaka is served as a sauce or as a relish and often as a cold salad with other greens. Chakalaka is not only served in shebeens but also in 5 star game lodges and fine city hotels.
- 45 ml oil
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 10 ml curry powder
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium cauliflower or broccoli, divided into florets
- 1 x 410 g can baked beans in tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil and sauté onions, garlic, ginger and green pepper with the chillies and curry powder for five minutes.
- Add the carrots and cauliflower.
- Cook gently for about 15 minutes, or until all vegetables are cooked.
- Add beans and seasoning, heat through and allow to cool.
- Serve cold.