Delicious Apple slices with cinnamon and mint, baked to a golden crisp . Best served with a bowl of whipped cream.
• ½ oz. butter, softened
• ½ lb. sugar
• 4 oz. plain flour
• ½ tsp. baking powder
• 1 egg
• 2 ½ tsp. dried mint leaves
• 2 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
• 4 medium-sized tart cooking apples, peeled quartered, cored and cut lengthwise into ¼ inch slices
• 3/8 pint double cream, whipped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8 by 8 by 2 inch baking dish with softened butter, using a pastry brush. Set aside.
2. Mix the sugar, flour, and baking powder and sift them into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and drop in the egg. Mix together with two table knives until the flour has thoroughly absorbed the egg.
3. Stir the mint leaves and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl. Add the apples and toss them about with a wooden spoon until the slices are evenly coated on both sides.
4. Arrange the slices in the baking dish and scatter the flour mixture over them, spreading and pressing it gently into a smooth layer to cover the apples completely.
5. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 45 minutes, until the topping is crusty.
6. Remove the dish from the oven, cover it tightly with a lid or foil, set aside to cool.
7. Serve at room temperature.